For general information on planning a school group visit, please see the Student Programs and Reservations and Fees pages.
When we arrive, where do we park and enter the Witte campus?
- Buses should drop off and pick up groups at the Feik Family Orientation Pavillion on Gunn Drive (see map).
- Buses may park behind Tomatillos on Broadway and Eleanor Ave.
- Vans and all other vehicles may park in the main lot or in the Brackenridge Parking Garage.
Where and how do we check in?
- Upon arrival, please have a total count of your students and chaperones. ONE chaperone is REQUIRED for every TEN students. Please have money collected, including admission for any additional chaperones (in excess of the required 1:10 ratio), and send one person to check your group in at the Admissions desk.
Is the Witte Museum handicap-accessible?
- All Witte Museum buildings, including the main building, the Body Adventure, the Research and Collections Center and the South Texas Heritage Center are handicap-accessible.
- Wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Where can we store lunches and other belongings?
- Lunches and other items may be stored under the veranda immediately inside the Riverside Entrance near the Admissions desk. Please note that student backpacks are NOT permitted in Witte Museum buildings.
Where may we eat lunch at the Witte?
- Groups may picnic on the museum grounds, where space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are also picnic tables in Brackenridge Park, walking-distance from the museum.
- There are NO indoor eating facilities available at the Witte, so please plan ahead to make other arrangements in case of inclement weather.
How do we begin our museum visit, with or without scheduled programs?
- All groups receive an orientation upon arrival.
- If your group IS registered for programs, you will be guided to the designated program space after the orientation, or told where to meet at the scheduled time.
- If your group is NOT registered for programs, you may begin your self-guided visit after the orientation.
How else can we prepare for our visit ahead of time?
- It is recommended that you divide your group into smaller sections to tour the museum.
- If you are participating in a 2.5 hour Student Workshop, PLEASE PLAN AHEAD to divide your group into four equal sections with an appropriate number of chaperones (at least 1:10) per group.
Will students be able to visit the gift shop?
- School groups are invited to visit the Witte Museum Store, now located in the Ruiz House. Please plan to allow only FIVE to TEN students to enter at a time, accompanied by a chaperone.