Acequia Madre and Diversion Dam
The most historic spot on the Witte campus dates back to 1719. The Acequia Madre or Alamo Acequia and Diversion Dam were built by Mission Indians during the Spanish Colonial period. They carried water through diversion ditches to the acequia, traveling the same route as Broadway to the Presidio, to irrigate crops near the missions. Witte will be connected across the San Antonio River by a lower water crossing to an overlook.