“Fit Living Means Fit Schooling”
As a mom, I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to be at home with my two kids. I have a second grader and when my “baby” started kinder this year, it opened my schedule to volunteer at their school. It keeps me active, is for a good cause and my kids know that I am there. Every once in a while I will pass them in the hallway and get a big smile and a wave, making it all the more rewarding. One of the initiatives that our school has taken on is to help our kids be healthier. Here are a few ideas of how your school can be healthier and more active.
- Organize a walkathon, dunk-a-thon, or dance-a-thon fundraiser in which people will donate for each lap/dunk/dance see who is the ultimate champion in your school.
- See what “good cause” walkathons are going on around town and challenge another school to see who can get the most participants.
- Wake up a few minutes earlier and walk to school rather than drive or ride the bus.
- Challenge teachers and coaches to a rock wall challenge.
- Gather volunteers to create a garden and/or clean up in a neglected area of campus.
- Remember, your school can set an example for other schools to follow, so talk to your principal and see how you can help out your school or community.